UPHOLD PRESS FREEDOM IN PAGADIAN CITY AND ZAMBOANGA DEL SUR
This section is empty.
The Pagadian Tricycle- only in Pagadian.
ASK THE ADMINISTRATOR
No comments found.
Maayong Pag abot!
Thank you for dropping by. The website aims to inform its readers what's going on in Pagadian and its nearby municipalities. Should you have suggestions, comments and other announcements, please feel free to drop us a line.
Nalipay kami sa inyong suporta.
PAGADIAN, IT'S HISTORY
Pagadian is well remembered as a sitio of Margosatubig. However, upon the creation of the Municipal District of Labangan, Pagadian became one of its barrios. However, back in 1934, Governor-General Leonard Wood commissioned Director Teofisto Guingona, Sr., of the Bureau of Non-Christian /tribes to find out the possibility of transferring the seat of government of the Municipal District of Labangan to another place.
A Conference was called for that purpose with Director Guingona presiding it. Datu Balimbingan, who was Mayor of the Municipal District of Labangan, led the conferees. With them were Datu Masla Daligdigan, Datu Manupac Agcong, Datu Akob, Norberto Bana, Sr., Jose Zulueta, and a certain Mr. Perez. During the conference, the proposed transfer of Labangan Government to Pagadian was met with tremendous objection from the Christian group. However, in spite of the objections, a committee designated to look for a place to transfer the seat of power was created.
Pagadian, a former barrio of Labangan in the Province of Zamboanga, was organized into a regular municipality on March 23, 1937 by virtue of Executive Order no. 77 of the late President Manuel L. Quezon through the initiative of Assemblyman Juan S. Alano. Honorable Jose Sanson was the first appointed mayor of Pagadian. After his brief stint as town “Presidente”, a regular election was held. Honorable Francisco Consolacion won and became the first Municipal Mayor.
By virtue of Republic Act No. 711, which was authored then by Congressman Roseller T. Lim and approved on June 6, 1952, the old province of Zamboanga was divided into two provinces, namely, Zamboanga del Sur and Zamboanga del Norte. The Province of Zamboanga del Sur was formally inaugurated on September 17, 1952 and Pagadian become its capital town.
Pagadian was converted into chartered City by virtue of Republic Act No. 5478, otherwise known as the Charter of the City of Pagadian, June 21, 1969. Honorable Benjamin F. Arao was the first City Mayor of the City of Pagadian by operation of the City Charter.